nanog mailing list archives

RE: IP over SONET considered harmful?

From: "Eric M. Carroll" <eric.carroll () acm org>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 1998 23:10:14 -0400

And as much as an "IP over everything" bigot as I've been for the last
17 years or so, I still run into situations where what I *HAVE* to
have is some kind of synchronous circuit. Wish it weren't so, but I can't
just tell people "oh, you can't do that"...

So you put in a parallel SONET/TDM infrastructure for volume deployment of
TDM services. There is no way that CBR over ATM is economic in the large.
And if you are trying to solve a smaller TDM problem, there is lots of good
gear that could be wedged into a WDM fabric to deliver smaller volumes.
Either
way, this use of ATM will not prolong its lifespan. The numbers just do not
work.

Eric Carroll
Tekton Internet Associates