nanog mailing list archives

Re: worldnic

From: DAVE NORDLUND <nordlund () ccstaff cc ukans edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 12:16:09 +0000

Date:          Fri, 05 Jun 1998 09:32:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:          Phillip Vandry <vandry () Mlink NET>
Subject:       Re: worldnic
To:            Jon Lewis <jlewis () inorganic5 fdt net>
Cc:            nanog () merit edu

I must not be on enough or the right lists...but what's the deal with
worldnic.com?  I'd not heard anything about it until today.  I tried to move
a domain (a .org domain) for a customer today, and got the following reply
from domreg () internic net:

Thank you for contacting Network Solutions, Inc., InterNIC
Registration Services.

The domain name you are attempting to update was registered
through WorldNIC Services and should be updated via the following
                http://www.worldnic.com

Interesting.  www.internic.com is a rip off company in Australia changing $200
to register a name.  They send $100 to NSI and keep the other $100.  I had
a client do this and saw a badly messed up registration record (wrong DNS
server and POCs) and fixed them.  Then NIS billed for the $100 which had
already been sent to Australia.  Since my client was a lawyer, a couple of
letters got $199 back!  This looks like someone else doing the same thing.

I got one of those two last night.

I wouldn't consider it half as atrocious as it is, though, if it was
actually possible to find information about what exactly this worldnic
thing is and does on the web site!

This looks like Network Solutions taking advantage of its position as
controller of the big three commercially used TLDs to find new ways to dip
their fingers into another part of the pie...perhaps in anticipation of
losing their monopoly on domain registrations.

Since they are charging $119, which is move than the InterNIC fee, that
must be how they 'legalize' it. The normal fee goes to Internic, and
Worldnic keeps the rest. (And it's not supposed to matter in some
fictitious world that Worldnic and Internic are both Netsol)

-Phil

Dave Nordlund               d-nordlund () ukans edu
University of Kansas        785/864-0450
Computing Services          FAX 913/864-0485
Lawrence, KS  66045         KANREN