nanog mailing list archives

Re: PPP over Ethernet?

From: John Fraizer <John.Fraizer () EnterZone Net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 14:55:48 -0400

At 10:53 AM 6/4/98 -0700, you wrote:
Cygnus has tools that let you build SHH on WinNT.

At 10:14 AM 6/4/98 -0700, Dave Siegel wrote:
Nah, They never heard of virtual circuits.

Seriously, PPP over IP is a way of building a cheap VPN. The thing is that
SSH already does that job much better.

SSH does not allow me to access file on the corporate NT server.

PPTP (ala MS VPN) does.

Give me 10 minutes with a sniffer and a few nifty tools and not only can I
find the PPTP session but, take control.  Now, *I* have access to your file
on that NiceTry Server.  I have yet to see or hear about this being done
with an SSH tunnel.  Perhaps you would like to put a unix box on your
network to do SSH tunnels with and from there, mount your SAMBA share from
the NiceTry box. Or then again, maybe you trust MS. <sic>

-------
John Fraizer    (root)          |    __   _                 |
The System Administrator        |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:root () EnterZone Net       |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/       | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
                     A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...