nanog mailing list archives

Re: Web caching liability

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 11:49:36 -0500

On Fri, Jan 02, 1998 at 08:23:00AM -0800, Turnando Fuad wrote:
I would be curious to the liability issues surrounding the use of web
proxy servers and Cisco Cache engines. ISP/NSPs traditionally only
forwards packets or are at least responsible to a certain degree for
resolution of IP addresses from DNS and routers. The use of these web
cache technologies allows ISP/NSPs to now *intelligently determine* what
data the requesting client receives. With web proxy server, at least the
client is aware(we hope) that data is being cached but the Cisco Cache
engine makes that process transparent. As we are all well aware, these
intelligent implementations don't always work. It seems that we are on
slippery grounds making content decisions for end user requests. And
doesn't it become even messier with the suggested/proposed web caching at
the MAEs or at the NSP level?

It may well be worse than that, depending on judicial interpretations
of the Cubby and Stratton-Oakmont cases.  I suspect that S-O wouldn't
apply to this circumstance, but who can tell what a judge will think.

Cheers,
-- jr 'oh, yeah: Happy New Year!'
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,