nanog mailing list archives

Re: Reporting Little Blue Men

From: Dennis Simpson <dennis () bconnex net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:54:50 -0500 (EST)

From: Dean Anderson <dean () av8 com>

But when you take the step from advocacy to actions you are violating the
law in almost every case.  You can advocate anything, but you can't go
tearing down buildings, or in this case, intercepting communications.

Filtering packets is not interception, it is disregard. If I ignore
your packets and do not pass them to the next machine in the link, I
am not intercepting your communications, I am ignoring them. Unless
you are paying me to do so, I have no obligation to carry your packets.

If my server checks message headers to determine validity before
transferring to a spool file, I am not intercepting, I am determining
message routing. As above, if you aren't paying me, I have no obligation
to deliver something you handed me for delivery. Or are you suggesting
mail servers should deliver mail without determining who it is for?

If I review the content of your message, and then make decisions about
who gets to read it (as opposed to discarding it), then I am intercepting,
and reprehensible.

I cannot block mail espousing causes I disagree with, but I have no
obligation to deliver them either. Find yourself another path to my
client; I won't do anything to permit or prevent it. I am not blocking you.
I am also not assisting you. That is neither illegal nor immoral.

SPAM yourself silly.

dennis