nanog mailing list archives

Re: backbone routers' priority settings for ICMP & UDP

From: Dave Siegel <dave () rtd net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 12:15:13 -0700 (MST)

Marc, I'd have to agree, ICMP is more for flow control than congestion
control. A source quench is to slow a fast machine from overrunning a slow
machine, not preventing all flows from going through one link.

One (weak) metaphor is that traffic lights at an intersection are for flow
control, while the traffic lights to get onto the freeway (common here in
California) are for congestion control...

Extremely weak metaphore, since a source quench indicates there weren't
enough buffers available to send your packets.

Now, if the freeway was full, and cars started dropping out of the space/time
continuum, that'd be more like a source quench.  ;-)  The freeway would call
your wife at home and say "sorry, but your husband didn't make it to work
because the freeways were too full."  If wife runs correct a correct
TCP implementation, she would know to initiate "slow start" and would
send out her husbands at a slower rate until she gets a feel for how
bad the traffic is.

One then
wonders how well Win95 implements source quench, if at all.

Which side of the implementation do you mean?  as a client, or as a gateway?
I suppose it doesn't really matter.  Since source quenches are not supposed
to be used on routers anymore, the expectation of receiving a source
quench on a large network (like the Internet) is a bad one, so the TCP
implementations have to implement congestion controls through other means
anyhow.

TCP/IP Illus. Vol. I by W. Richard Stevens has a pretty good explanation
of what source quenches are.

Dave

--
Dave Siegel                             dave () rtd net
Network Engineer                        dave () pager rtd com (alpha pager)