nanog mailing list archives

Re: Smurfing

From: Joe Provo - Network Architect <jprovo () ma ultranet com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:45:45 -0500 (EST)

==>Perhaps some of the folks on NANOG that use equipment other than Cisco
==>would like to share how they "configure their router for that"?  It would
==>be a nice service to everyone...

http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.txt

It has Bay Networks and Proteon information, and I'm adding Ascend
information as well within the next week.
...and I've given Craig FORE, Livingston and DEC info.  I'm looking to
get some more CPE-ish vendors out to him as well.

With Ascend, you must filter traffic to the broadcast address.
Am I the only one who thinks them not setting the knob to turn this off
is nuts?  To have to cut filters specific to each address on a case-by
case basis is a lot of work that some people won't take on, and clue-
challenged custromers will have difficulty with...

Joe