nanog mailing list archives

Re: RA/RV Feeds from RBN

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:21:28 -0800 (PST)

I heard lots of questions on multicast today...here's how it works with
RealMedia.  If you have decent MBONE connectivity, you'll negotiate
multicast when you connect to the audio or video stream.  If you don't, the
client falls back to unicast UDP mode.  If even that fails (say you're
behind a firewall), it rolls to TCP mode, and will ultimately resort to HTTP
"cloaking" if nothing else works.  Users can override the automated
fall-back through the preferences dialog if there's a strong preference for
a particular mode.

Odd.  If MBone native tools aren't going to be offered, can
you please make sure source code is available for the player?
I normally use vat/sdr/rat on Digital Unix for watching NANOG,
and it seems RealNetworks, Inc. haven't figured out how to
compile their source on that platform yet.  :-(

Have we sunk to proprietary, closed protocols for NANOG?  'Tis
a sad, sad day.  :-(

Jeffrey Payne, GM Broadcast Operations
RealNetworks, Inc.

As a representative of RealNetworks, do you have any comments
on the availability of source code to your player, for those
of us with multicast-supported systems you have chosen to
ignore?  Or is it simply time to declare NANOG yet another
bastion of closed minds, and closed protocols?

Matt Petach

disgruntled NANOG non-viewer