nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTU of the Internet?

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 19:15:37 -0500

On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 10:24:52AM -0500, Frank Kastenholz wrote:
At 12:36 AM 2/8/98 -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
By loading the images in parallel, with the initial part of the image files
being a fuzzy approximation, you get to see about where every button is
located, and in many cases you know exactly what it is, and you can click
on them as soon as you know where to go.

things like buttons tend to be very very small.
the connections never really get out of slowstart.
to fully utilize the b*d of the path. but it isn't
very adaptive. better would be to use a single connection
to load all the images. the tcp will rather quickly settle
on the 'best' bandwidth of the link and your overall
throughput will then be optimal.

But, as has been noted, loading things in parallel is a user interface
issue (I'm tempted to substitute the word requirement, there... :-)

Can we move this over to NODlist () nodewarrior net, folks, before we piss
off Randy, John, and Paul?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com