nanog mailing list archives

Re: ** Forged spamming going on

From: Derek Balling <dredd () megacity org>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 22:15:34 -0800

At 12:56 AM 12/23/98 -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:

On that you are right. No one has any rights with Paul.  But thats half the
problem isn't it. There is no appeal to Paul.  No appeals committee that
makes sure there isn't some kind of personal vendetta or personal interest
or otherwise unfair decision.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

Thats why we create standards and industry organizations isn't it?  Perhaps
a ARIN/Internic like organization should be created to run the RBL.
Something that doesn't arbitarilly change its rules when it feels like it.
Something that permits some recourse if it does.

As soon as "we" (and this is certainly the "Royal We" because I have no
desire to even attempt this) have some authority to do that, you let me
know. The RBL is Paul's. It belongs to him. You and I have no more right to
assume its functionality than I have to come over to your house and assume
responsibility for your car for an hour to go for a ride.

I didn't invent the NetSol incident.  I didn't invent the MSN incident last
year.  Those are operational issues.  You keep defending indefensible
conduct.  It makes me wonder what your motives are.

Its not indefensible. From whence spam comes, black holes in the net
appear. It's Vixie's Law, and its in some physics texts already I think. :)

Its you who attack my motives without any substance.  I don't have any
ulterior motives. I run a small ISP just like many people on this list.
I'm rightly concerned about an unpredictable person with a powerful tool
which can affect many ISP's operations.

Only if they go rogue can it effect their operations. :)

Whats tiresome is the continued praise of what are clearly Pauls mistakes.

Probably because most ISP's don't see them as mistakes.

Regardless, this has a list that has been created for this sole purpose.
Address your complaints there (and myself and many others will happy debate
the issue with you there)