nanog mailing list archives

Re: Registered Class C addresses

From: "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb () clark net>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:58:22 -0500

At 11:56 AM -0500 12/17/98, Peter Polasek wrote:
I apologize in advance if this is an ISP 101 question.  Is there
any reasonable method for acquiring a registered Class C address
these days?

ISPs have to start somewhere!  Let me suggest rephrasing the question a
bit.  No one can get class A, B, or C addresses any longer, because the
concept of "classful" addresses is dead.  Address space allocation is on a
CIDR block basis, where a class C would be equivalent to a /24, a class B
to a /16, and a class A to an /8.

If you need the equivalent of two class C blocks, your requirement is for a
/23 CIDR block.   A starting point is Hank Nussbacher's CIDR FAQ at
http://www.ibm.net.il/~hank/cidr.html.

We are opening a data center in England and need at
least 2 registered Class C addresses IP for the production network.
Last time I checked, subnetted class C registered addresses were
still available (within the Class A range), but pure Class C addresses
were not.  We very strongly prefer to avoid subnetting addresses because
this becomes extremely difficult maintain when the network becomes large
(as this will).

See RFC2050, the policy for address allocation.  I doubt that any address
registry would consider a request for address space that is not subnetted
because it is inconvenient to maintain.

Take a look at my tutorial at the last NANOG meeting, which is on the NANOG
web site at http://www.nanog.org/mtg-9811/ppt/berk/index.htm.  I describe
some approaches to semi-automating ISP address space management.

For a somewhat broader look, I've just published a book that deals with
address justification and planning, _Designing Address Architectures for
Routing & Switching_ (Macmillan Technical Publishing ISBN #1-57870-059-0).
Major online and physical bookstores just started making it available,
although Amazon is correcting the title.

Cheers,

Howard