nanog mailing list archives

Re: System and Network Monitoring

From: Tim Salo <salo () networkcs com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:52:07 -0600 (CST)

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:48:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Derek Balling <dredd () megacity org>
To: nanog () merit edu
Subject: System and Network Monitoring

OK, I'm looking for "real world" data and not sales/marketing hype.

I'm looking for a package to do network and system monitoring. It's a
heterogenous environment consisting of all manner of routers, at least 700
servers (Mostly FreeBSD, but also Solaris and Network Appliance boxen).
      [...]

I would be interested to hear about your comparison of a commercial
package such as HP OpenView with free alternatives.

My inclination is towards a commercial package.  I even suspect that it
would be less expensive in the long run, plus it seems likely to free
up your technical talent for revenue-producing activities.

-tjs