nanog mailing list archives

[whoisdatabase () hotmail com: Re: Network Solutions Lists]

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:31:32 -0800

Date:         Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:58:36 -0800
Sender: Owner-Domain-Policy <owner-domain-policy () internic net>
From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () MHSC COM>
Subject:      Report: Whois database for sale
To: DOMAIN-POLICY () LISTS INTERNIC NET

I just called this guy at

Registrant:
Site Promotion, LLC (TARGETEDLISTS2-DOM)
  3000 Millsfield
  Dyersburg, TN 38024
  US

  Domain Name: TARGETEDLISTS.COM

  Administrative Contact:
     Promotion, Site  (SP7502)  spotfree () LOA COM
     901-286-6157

A *real* person answers the phone. I had a very good discussion with him
and I mentioned that this call was part of the MHSC process leading to
submitting his site to the RBL. He confirmed the web-site and its stated
intention. I also pointed out that making whois contact information
available to spammers was a lot like "tugging on Superman's cape", not a
good idea as it would gain the extreme ire of every ISP on the planet, not
to mention every other domain-name holder. I also politely reminded him
that the whois information is for internet-related business ONLY and NOT to
be used for advertising.

In turn, he informed me that, as of this morning, he has decided to stop
this activity. It remains to be seen if he will do so. Chuck, I strongly
suggest that NSI follow this up with their own phone contact procedures.

It is amusing that he, at first, tried to say that he didn't send the SPAM,
but when I started to read excerpts from the text of his web-site he
abandoned that argument line.