nanog mailing list archives

Re: comments please

From: Bill Manning <bmanning () ISI EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 11:39:41 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Bill Manning wrote:

10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16 are the prefixes called out
in RFC 1918. They are only for use in private networks that wish to use
the IP protocols. Network operations and End System administrators should
ensure that these prefixes is not coded into systems or routed through any
Internet infrastructure.  Since they have the appearance of "normal" prefixes,
special precautions should be taken to ensure that they are not propagated
in the Internet.

What about instances where an I/NSPs extends its use of these addresses to
the customer's boundary router?  This becomes epseically important if the
customer happens to have been doing its homework and using RFC1918
addresses only to find (after signing the contract) that they collide with
the provider's addresses.  Who wins in that case?

Mohamad Eljazzar
EET Data Communications

Well, RFC 1918 says these prefixes should not be propogated over the Internet
but can be used on/in Intranets.  I occasionally find it tough to discriminate
between the two ideas.

--
--bill