nanog mailing list archives

Re: BBN/GTEI

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:22:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, William Allen Simpson wrote:

In the past, on other topics, Michael often has had thoughtful

*gurgle*

IP traffic has none of these characteristics.  Who is the "initiator"
for the FTP data PORT?  PASV?  What setup time?  What circuit time?

I don't care who is the initiator and the terminator because both are
customers of the backbone operators who are peering and are therefore
irrelevant to the peering relationship. I am attempting to factor the
customers out of this scenario and see where it takes us.

We are "packet" oriented, not "circuit" oriented.

I'm not even looking at packets to figure out what the balance point is.
Just octets in and octets out.

no-charge peering for networks that basically send a similar number of
bytes to what they receive.

So what do we do when that is no longer the case?

Those of us who have been around longer then most, remember that this
has _NEVER_ been the case.

My simple telnet to a host (circa '78...) delivered far more to the screen
than my typed commands, even with an old teletype or decwriter.

Meanwhile someone on the host's network could have ben telnetting to a
host on your network. This is what I mean by balance. I'm talking about
the aggregate of all the flows passing through an exchange point.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Communications Inc.      -               E-mail: michael () memra com