nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Services

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:12:24 -0400

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 12:46:39AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
Now, I fully agree that the BEST solution to the problem is for it to be
available 24x7, as there are those of us which work from midnight-4 on a
regular basis.  (I myself have two waking schedules 9a - midnight or
noon-4a, depending on what needs to get done.)

One would think the various registries might make a deal to host "mirror"
sites for each other and then spread the word that if for instance,
rs.arin.net isn't working, you should try rs2.arin.net (which might reside
somewhere in Europe).  People in Europe, might naturally just use
rs2.arin.net, knowing that its closer and faster for them.

Why even use a different name?  Round robin works fine, and if all the
registries participate in a cross-mirroring program, then all would be
well, no?  If you mirror correctly, it doesn't much matter _which_ host
you hit.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com