nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netcom?

From: Erich Meier <Erich.Meier () informatik uni-erlangen de>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:33:00 +0200 (MET DST)

Scott,

One method to detect duplicate IPs is to use SNMP to query your routers
every 4 hours for the ARP entries. (ARP times out every 4 hours in a cisco
router)  We use the CMU snmp package to do the queries.  Then put the info
into a database and query the database for duplicates.  We have a system
like this with a web interface and also some scripts that scan ths
database daily for duplicates and e-mails notices to people in charge of
the relevant subnet.

  The code is somewhat rough, so I do not want to offer it to the
net-at-large.  If you can not find a polished product, e-mail me and I'll
share more aobut this solution.

Art.