nanog mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Engineering (fwd)

From: "Sean M. Doran" <smd () clock org>
Date: 18 Sep 1997 17:26:30 -0400

"John G. Scudder" <jgs () ieng com> writes:

Whether 9999 chooses to do this or not is, as the saying
goes, "purely a local matter."

Figures.  As with essentially everything in BGP.

Some BGP implementations, gated for one, may be configured to accept
routes with the router's own AS number in the path.  Loop suppression
is still provided by limiting the number of times it may appear.
(Hi, Dennis.)

Oh yeah, the AS healing wars.

I didn't realize gated ever implemented this; I do
remember the first time AS path prepending met gated,
though, and a certain Russian and a certain Swede plotting
to build Sprintlink's backbone on top of ANS's using AS
healing. --:)

This is actually useful in some circumstances.

Oh certainly.  I can think of three applications right
now, actually, where that would be the easiest (but
probably also the most dangerous) approach to solving
routing awkwardnesses.

I take it this feature is documented in the usual place?

        Sean.