nanog mailing list archives

RE: Physical transport media

From: Per Engstrom <PEngstrom () ixc-comm net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:00:28 -0500

At 5:04 PM -0400 9/16/97, Tim Gibson wrote:
If I may be so bold here Michael, the TTL of steel is significantly
less
than so many other datagrams, many due to R.educed U.seable S.urface
T.ransparancy.

We think that we have the R.U.S.T problem licked by using stainless
steel
BBs and by using a petroleum based liquid transport medium. We need
the
mass of steel in the datagrams to protect against backhoe fade. After
a few
backhoe operators get torn to shreds by a stream of IP packets from
cut
transport pipes, those big yellow machines will show a little more
respect
and watch where they stick their big yellow buckets.

        I can see it now... " We have a BS-3 down due to oil change
maintenance."

Per Engstrom
IXC Communications
Broadband Services