nanog mailing list archives

Re: GTE to acquire Genuity

From: Aaron France <aaron () hooked net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:38:46 +0000 (GMT)

UUNet runs MSN's network.
I'm sure this is not a cheap operation.
That money more than likely went into network implementation
costs, as building a private nationwide dialup network can be
quite costly.

typical nanog bitter-batter: making assumptions based upon half
truths.

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 mec () ummagumma ops usa net wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Chris Cook, Net Asset LLC wrote:

   > And when that happens, Microsoft will buy Worldcomm. And then Microsoft
   > will require AOL to use MSN's interface bundled with Worldcomm's
   > connectivity or get no connectivity at all.

Shhhh. Don't give the Evil Empire any ideas....

perhaps I've been smoking too much crack, but back when MSN was getting
started, Microsoft dumped a large amount of money in UUNET's lap.  How
much of this ended up going towards UUNET stock?  And if they owned a
chunk then, they'd own a chunk of Worldcomm now.  But then, I may just be
smoking too much crack.