nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI Accepts Worldcom's Bid? ; charset=us-ascii

From: Steve Carter <steve () lynx genuity net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 13:56:04 -0700

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

Frankly, this could be a *good* thing for the industry.  Among other things
large organizations have a habit and history of being unable to perceive
and act on market-based changes quickly enough to capitalize on them.

They tend to act like 900lb Gorillas instead, which is great if you're into
slow, plodding things, and not so good if you aren't fast enough to get
stepped on.  But eventually, stepping on people draws the fire of people
on the DOJ side of the fence.

I agree, I think this is a good thing for many NSPs. It is going to be a
HUGE job to combine UUNET, ANS, and Internet MCI. They have huge hardware
differences. ANS with the new BAY BCN hardware that they spent a large
time developing, MCI with their large Stratacom network, and UUNet with
their new Fore network. They all connect customers in a different way, it
will take some time to bring all of that together. There will be major
outages and problems associated with this merger. It will be a big change
for other backbone providers to come in a take some of their customers
base. It also will be easier to watch 1 big gorilla then 3 smaller ones.

-Nathan

Pessimist Nathan?  I seems to me that it would be out of character for
Worldcom to integrate MCI.  They didn't with MFS, ANS or UUNet.  Different
market targets?

-Steve.