nanog mailing list archives

Re: UUNET settlement - A call to arms?

From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 97 17:47:57 GMT

From: "Bownes, Robert M. (EXCH)" <RMBOWNES () intermedia com>
What I would like to do is to connect to, for example, Sprint *just to
get to folks who buy from Sprint*, not to transit through them to get
to a NAP someplace. Logically, this should be available (and we make
such arrangements available) at a lower cost than transit. At the extreme
low end, it is a no-cost relationship at exchange points called peering.

I found this to be a nice recapitulation of what "peering" means.  Each
peer pays the cost for seeing the other, not for carrying traffic to
someone else they can see ("transit").

How can we combat this? By building better interconnectivity amongst
ourselves. Local exchanges help to offload traffic that we would
otherwise hand off to major NSPs. We are actively campaigning to build
exchanges in any city we can for ISPs to exchange traffic, removing
it from the NSP backbone.

This is admirable.  Is there a place where this effort is coordinated?

WSimpson () UMich edu
BSimpson () MorningStar com