nanog mailing list archives

Re: QoS/CoS interest

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 08:02:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 22 May 1997 bill.st.arnaud () canarie ca wrote:

I believe, in the future, it will be a lot easier and cheaper to
deploy bandwidth rather than manage complex router/switch technology to
support QoS/CoS.

I disagree. With the increase in bandwidth and the rtelated increase in
multimedia applications we will need QoS/CoS in order to guarantee
bandwidth availability for email, web pages and other low bandwidth
protocols. >;-)

The challenge for the routing and switching companies will not be to
implement QoS/CoS, but to build fast enough switches and routers to keep up
with this fire hose of data.  This will have a major implication on network
design - the concept of the telco intelligent network is dead at these data
volumes.  Network intelligence must move to the edge.

Anyone who hasn't read Gilder's articles on the Telecosm, should take a
break now and read them http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~gaj1/ggindex.html

http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com

The bottom line is track record.  Not track tearing.  Not track derailing.
But pounding the damn dirt around the track with the rest of us worms.
       -- Randy Bush