nanog mailing list archives

Re: TISPA anti-spam group to be formed

From: System Administrator <root () freeside fc net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 21:55:23 -0500

Just FYI, one of our customers is currently under attack by a AGIS
customer I84.NET, using compuserver to generate bounced email to
Infocom.net.  Since we are a MX backup site for them is is also causing
us problems.  I have had to block Compuserve's access to our systems
because they have no one on duty in there Network operations center.
None of compuserve's phone numbers in their ASN contact domain contact
or IP block contacts provide access to a 24hour operations center.

In message <199705020131.BAA01102 () tpoint net>, Gene Crick writes:

as list members now know, Turning Point Information Systems (a charter
member of TISPA), was/is the target of hundreds of thousands of CyberPromo
spam messages, many illegally remailed using forged headers, etc.  This
massive assault has caused heavy pressures and numerous problems for them.

Spam problems like these are unlikely to go away soon, or cure themselves.

So Jim Koen, president of Turning Point, has agreed to coordinate efforts
to collect information and provide a forum for any ISPs interested in
protecting their companies and customers from unsolicited advertising
email.  Results will probably be maintained as a TISPA reference webpage.

Right now Jim is up to his routers in CyberPromotions' junk mail, but as
soon as he has a little more free time, TISPA asks anyone interested in
the topic to let Jim know and help him develop this shared information
project for TISPA members.  His address is jkoen () tpoint net

Thanks, Jim.  I think this could make a real difference in protecting ISPs
from the greedy, malicious tactics of Cyberpromotions.

                                                              - gc -

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry () fc net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  |  1-800-968-8750  |  512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net