nanog mailing list archives

Re: Firewall in Routers??

From: Paul Knight <pknight () BayNetworks COM>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 16:57:59 -0500

Hmm, yes.

At least one router vendor (with sufficient processing power) is doing
this...  Here is a pointer to some basic info on Bay Networks'
implementation, dating from last September.

http://www.baynetworks.com/Products/Briefs/baysecrs.html

Tim Crowell wrote:

With all of the recent attacks against ISP services, has anybody
considered implementing Checkpoint Firewalls into the CISCO 7513s to
front end all traffic from the Internet?

Although in theory this sounds feasible from a security standpoint I'm
not sure I am comfortable with the processing power that would be
required and having anything looking at every packet.  It seems that
this would introduce a significant latency into the routing of the
traffic (which is the function of a router or at least it used to be). I
prefer to let my routers route.

Interested in any and all ideas on the subject.

--
Tim Crowell - GTE Intelligent Network Services
tcrowell () gte net                Voice: 214.751.3881

--
Paul Knight                          mailto:pknight () BayNetworks com
IP Engineering, Systems Test         Office: (508) 916-7087