nanog mailing list archives

Re: "routing table slots" and the real problem

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 14:44:02 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Mike O'Dell wrote:

managing the complexity of the graph is the only alternative,
and generally the only way to manage tne complexity is through
aggregation.

In this case aggregation is a way of building a tree structure in the same
way the Route reflectors are used to build a tree structure in the iBGP
and route servers are used to build a tree structure in the eBGP. However,
when you look at the details of actual route computations over time you
should see a significant occurence of the identical calculation producing
the identical results. In a reasonably stable network this should be
amenable to some sort of caching system that can shortcut the route
computations and provide a more linear characteristic as the route table
grows.

Is anyone doing any work on this whether in the vendor or the academic
community?

whether we have other alternatives
over time is an open question.

Time has a tendency to create alternatives; we should never discount the
possibility even if we choose not to rely on it happening.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com