nanog mailing list archives

Re: MCI outages

From: Sean Donelan <SEAN () SDG DRA COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 0:44:05 -0500

you've been around long enough to know the drill, you call
your upstream, he calls his, etc., etc., you expect our
front line noc to know you by name?  things weren't always
this way of course, just like rfc 1104, information goes
out of date :-).

If you've been around long enough, you remember the days when
the MCI NOC used to flat-out refuse to do inter-provider referals.
From first-hand experience, I know they've told their customers to
call the other provider directly, even when both networks involved
were direct MCI customers.  MCI has improved this particular
mis-feature.  In the last month or so, we've successfully received
our first inter-provider referals through the MCI NOC.

On the other hand, after two years our MCI salesperson(s) still
hasn't told us the officially supported way of reporting a problem
to InternetMCI.  But I have accumulated a large collection of 1-800
numbers that I can use to call people I know by name :-).  I prefer
to go through channels, but when the channels don't work, I'm just
as comfortable using any means necessary.