nanog mailing list archives

UK Web Press coverage of the NSI root outage

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:38:37 -0400

The text of a website article pointed out to the list last week was:
    A series of major systems failures in the week ending July 18 have
    called Internet security and robustness into question. Problems
    started over the weekend of July 12 and 13 when a hacker is
    believed to have penetrated the Internet's root nameserver, causing
    severe disruption of the entire Domain Name system. E.mail messages
    to .com and .net and attempts to access .com and .net sites
    received 'unresolvable address' or 'host unreachable' responses.

I wrote these folks a note, sufficiently vitriolic that I'm almost
embarrased to include it here, pointing out that perhaps that article
could have used a _bit_ more research... and got this reply: