nanog mailing list archives

Aggressive route flap dampening

From: michael () priori net
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 10:51:54 -0700

Can aggressive route flap dampening replace the need for /19 prefix filtering?
For instance, could the old Class C space be filtered on the /24 boundary
if this sort of flap dampening was put in place? Here is Paul Ferguson's
comments from the pagan mailing list:

Again, I mention the fact that aggressive route-flap dampening
could be used in the place of prefix length traffic filters, but
someone/something needs to educate the latter group to implement
a less draconian method of protecting themselves from misbehaving
announcements. If I am not remiss, the predominate reasoning for
filtering on /19's and longer was an assumption that smaller
announcements were responsible for the majority of the routing
instability, and that simply blocking these announcements at
an arbitrary prefix length would be the simplest way to 'fix'
the problem. This may be true, but an alternate method of
approach for this problem could solve all of this squabbling
once and for all, at least in regard to this issue.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-415-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."