nanog mailing list archives

Re: Power outage in San Francisco

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:05:46 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Rob Liebschutz wrote:

slowly as we pull in power feeds from mobile generators.  The China
Basin complex where we are located has been quite a scene, with cables
running out the to roof and down the side of the building to
generators running in the courtyard below.

Any photos on the web?

There's been alot of
cooperation amoungst providers with Sprint and TCG sharing spare power
capacity on the generators and pulling wires to other providers in the
building.  MFS has also been helping their customers with power
restoral.  MCI has a big mobile generator in the courtyard as well.
The power for the emergency lighting in the complex (multiple 6 story
buildings) lasted only a few hours and we're all running around in the
halls with flashlights.

Any possibilty to write up a case study to help other people plan for how
to deal with this kind of an emergency?

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com