nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internic registries

From: Dirk Harms-Merbitz <dirk () power net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:33:06 -0800 (PST)

Yup, looks screwed up. My company info is wrong as well.

Dirk

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Matthew Petach wrote:

I was doing some maintanace on some of my domains a few days back and
decided to update my Internic contact information. Low and behold I found
that the company field in the whois query was wrong. I did a whois on a
few other internic handles I know and it looks as if they are wrong as
well.

I thought at first that maybe someone changed my Internic contact
registration (which is why I'm sending my PGP key to them right now), but
the last update time is months ago, and I'm sure I would have noticed it
before now.

So did Internic's whois server break? Or did their registery get corrupt?

Looks like the registry is corrupt; My contact information is corrupt
now as well, as is my girlfriend's; we've both gotten assigned to
Lobo Net, rather than our proper locations.  I looked up JM2789, but
it's garbled in a different manner.  I wonder if everyone associated
with a particular domain is garbled in the same way?

Anyhow, this really bites.  If the InterNIC wants to charge for
services, they really MUST take better care of the data.

- --
Jordan Mendelson     : www.wserv.com/~jordy
Web Services, Inc.   : www.wserv.com

Matt Petach (MP59, also check BL223 for another data point)
NetFlight Consulting Services