nanog mailing list archives

Re: Specific mailbombing threat (was Sprint, etc.)

From: Michael Dillon <michael () memra com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 11:19:59 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

I don't want, either, to get into the ethics of spam or carrier
responsibilities.  Traffic and congestion issues, however, are another
matter.  I received yet another cyberpromo spam this morning, that contains
a specific threat of retaliatory mailbombing -- IF CYBERPROMO'S _SOFTWARE_
decides a response is a flame.

Think about it if this cyberpromo threat is real.  What if several people
respond with flames?  What is the potential for congestion if this
escalates?

What if Cyberpromo sells this software to other spammers? What if the
spammers are all on a mailing list sharing their techniques? What if
iq-internet.com is running a similar mail robot and that is causing the
flood that is hitting world.std.com?

(b)email to 3 million people a questionable item with your return email
address.

Sounds like intent to commit a crime to me.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com