nanog mailing list archives

Re: Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble?

From: Karl Denninger <karl () Mcs Net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:17:54 -0600 (CST)

At 5:23 PM 2/18/97, Karl Denninger wrote:
[...]
BTW, churn is the right word.  Its taking anywhere from 5-10 *seconds* to
come back as NXDOMAIN on each request for those that fail to resolve, and
this is from the IANA roots.

Churn shmurn.  Those domains are probably ones that have been paid for (to
the InterNIC), but aren't yet being used.  Who's accessing those unused
domains and doing all this needless churning?  We should find 'em and
string 'em up.

Seems like most of the churning would be caused by spammers and testers
like yourself.

I'd be interested in seeing actual machine statistics on how much
performance degredation can be attributed to lack of responses.  Without
those statistics, I can't see how the InterNIC fees aren't covering this
scenario.

Well, RFC2010 specifies a latency of 5ms at 1,200 requests/second.  I can
guarantee you're not meeting that right now on any of the existing COM
servers.  I'm seeing five *SECOND* response times right now to get back
an NXDOMAIN.

Lots of people hit non-existant domains.  The problem is that this is
only a linear degredation problem for a while -- when working sets get into
the hundreds of megabytes (as they are for the COM tld servers right now)
degredation isn't linear any longer -- its far worse.

Pull 60% of the records off those servers and performance would improve by
far more than 60% -- it would probably cut average service times by at least
75%, and I wouldn't be surprised to see latencies drop by 90%.

As was mentioned before, you shouldn't have to pay an ISP to have a domain
name reserved.

Chris Russo

Why not?  You have to pay NSI!

If you're not going to *USE* the domain, why should you be able to register
it at all?  DNS names aren't things you bandy about - - they exist to
perform a translation function.

Tell me what the difference is between $50 a year and $100 a year?  Not
much.  You can't get away from the first, and I don't see what the big
deal is with the second, given the existance of the first charge.

And by the way, from the analysis that I've done, if you think $50 a year
is bad from NSI wait until the IAHC's domains come online.  With the stats
that I have right now on bogus nameservers and domains I'm willing to bet
the *break-even* price for those new registrars is going to be closer to
$200 a year per domain -- not $50.00.

NSI is going to be the *LOW* price supplier under the IAHC proposal.

You heard it here first.

And the only way to prevent *THAT* is to force free-market competition
into the root level of the domain tree.

I think we can easily make a profit at half of NSI's fee ($25/year).  But
there's no way we can do it for $25.00 under the IAHC's plan with the
overhead and policy things they're mandating.  That's just on the *economic*
front.

Folks, we run the network (this *IS* NANOG, right? :-)  Let's start actually
running it for a change... DNS is one of those things that we ought to be
able to do right, and do in an open and competitive format.

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () MCS Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
                             | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info () mcs net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal