nanog mailing list archives

NANOG Summary

From: Jim Fleming <JimFleming () unety net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:46:09 -0600

Here is a summary of recent events on NANOG
regarding Root Name Server problems.

1. People are complaining about Root Name Server
        corruption, etc.

2. Some people hypothesize that people unhappy
        with the IAHC outcome are causing trouble.

3. During that discussion, someone noted they could
        not get to the server run by Paul Vixie.

4. I asked if Paul "filters" traffic to that server. No answer.

5. A few people tried to twist that and to take a simple
        question regarding filtering and make more
        out of it. Paul finally sort of admitted that
        he filters a small percentage.

6. I summarized the situation and noted that the IANA
        and Network Solutions were making changes
        to the Root Name Server arrangements and
        suggested, that could be the cause of the
        problems noted in #1 above.

7. George Herbert claimed these changes have
        corrupted the H root server and that these
        changes should cease and desist.

8. I pointed out that Jon Postel (the IANA) is making
        those changes....

...now there is silence at NANOG...I guess all of the
Root Name Server problems have either disappeared
or have been solved....

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation