nanog mailing list archives

RE: Internet vs. Telephone company

From: Brian Tackett <cym () acrux net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 15:36:57 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Tim Brown wrote:

They're also looking at deploying it in parts of Missouri.  IMHO, the cost
is perfect (at least in MO), but I'm leery of the telcos having that much
control over the network.  Also, I hear L2TP is better than L2F, but

And the telcos have no control of the network now? Let's see....if
Ameritech is doing repair on voice equipment, and some ham-handed tech who
just started yesterday destroys one (or more) of our DS-1's....no more
connectivity to that customer, or possibly (if he hits enough of them) to
anyone. I agree that it would really be nice to have 100% control over
things, since unless you do you can't really and truly PROMISE any kind of
reliability.

P.S: I'm not implying that Ameritech (or any other telco) is
incompetent....only that there *IS* an unavoidable danger of service
disruption by accident.