nanog mailing list archives

Re: smurf

From: "Alec H. Peterson" <ahp () hilander com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 13:51:26 -0500

On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 11:39:45AM -0700, Wayne Bouchard wrote:

Since so far 6 people misunderstood this, I *meant* those networks
that don't need to permit it, should consider filtering inbound ICMP
echo request packets. (And, hence, blocking the spoofed packet from
causing an ICMP echo reply flood.)

I personally don't see why this would be preferable to just putting no
ip directed-broadcast on all relavent interfaces.

Alec

--
|Alec Peterson - ahp () hilander com    | Erols Internet, INC.                 |