nanog mailing list archives

Re: Problems with specific routing policies for each exchange point

From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis () brookfield ans net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:05:37 -0500

In message <19971031020322.AAA5387 () pokey eng pbi net>, Mark Tripod writes:
I ran in to a little problem yesterday with my peering sessions wih the
various route servers around the country. The problem was that I was not
receiving routes from particular ASNs anymore. With a little help from Jake
at Merit we were able to pinpoint the problem in my rs-in configuration. It
seems that I was importing two different AS macros that each referenced the
other (AS-GENUITY and AS-NAPNET). This created a loop in the macro parser
on the route server which in turn nullified my routing policy.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across this little phenomenon.

Mark Tripod
Senior Backbone Engineer
Exodus Communications

We use different code that has loop suppression.  It remembers each
as-macro it has visited in an expansion and won't reenter one it has
already been to.

We've seen this quite a few times in the past.

Curtis

ps- catching up on nanog noise