nanog mailing list archives

Re: smurf, the MCI-developed tracing tools (was Re: Bogus announcement)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian () ourworld net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:52:29 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

are ICMP attacks. If you filter ICMP, then I'll start flooding with
spoofed source addresses TCP packets with random sequence numbers and from
IPs. What, you're going to ask routers to track all the TCP connections
going through them now for validation? Erm, how many CPUs more are we
going to need..? :)

If you did this the trace would be TRIVIAL.

Huh?
ICMP floods vs TCP floods. Aren't they both IP or have I missed something
glaringly obvious.

Then, the source network of the problem gets BGP-dropped until they kill the
source account and/or connection.  This reduces smurfing to a ONE TIME
event, makes prosecution easy (anyone who thinks that such an attack,
launched on interstate facilities, against any regional or larger ISP isn't
something the Feds will want to get into is dreaming - its a slam-dunk that
the limits on damage have been exceeded) and further, raises the bar on
people who claim that they "can't fix this".

Yep.

All you need to do is prevent out-of-bounds traffic from being sent into
your dedicated and dial equipment, and the problem now becomes trivial
to solve.

Yep.

If it can be EASILY traced, it will stop being done.  If you put these
filters in place, the Smurfer will try to use a forged address and be dismayed
when *nothing happens*.  What's better, he won't KNOW that he's been
filtered, and if you log the attempts you will know that someone tried and
failed - which is a perfect reason to cancel their service.

Yep.

Ok, so I agree with you completely. I thought I had made myself rather
clear in the beginning. Oh well.

I for one will be looking at integrating it into the setup here. Bar
possible router load issues, it is a good idea and means when (and if)
spoof attacks originate from our networks I can happily point to the
client rather easily. :)

adrian