nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broadcast pings.

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () scfn thpl lib fl us>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:14:29 -0500

On Tue, Dec 23, 1997 at 05:32:15PM -0600, Phil Howard wrote:
When a packet arrives, take note of the interface and gateway it came from.
Check the route tables for where a reply to this packet could be delivered.
Don't choose only the best route, but compare where the packet came from
with all valid reply routes (except broad defaults larger than a certain
size that can be configured).  If the packet came from where it is valid
to reply, then allow the packet to proceed.  If not, then discard it (an
ICMP probably won't make it back to the right place anyway).

Oh ghod... weren't you around, Phil, when _I_ got roundly trounced and
reviled as a clueless newbie about 3 months ago for alomst exactly the
same solution?

The outcome as I recall, was that the only practical thing to do was
ingress filtering at boundary routers, if they would.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,