nanog mailing list archives

Re: Impact of paying for address space

From: Paul Ferguson <ferguson () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 21:01:59 -0500

At 08:29 PM 12/23/97 -0500, Adam Rothschild wrote:

However, looking at the high fees imposed by ARIN for address assignment,
I really hope this practice will not remain in its current form.  As
anyone can clearly see, the fees are extremely high, and will surely cause
a raise in costs that are incurred by the end user in one way or another.

Listen, many of us have already lived through the e-mail Jihad on
the ARIN mailing list, so I really don't want to see this thread
perpetuated here. Please, subscribe to the naipr list and have a
blast, but please, not here.

I would suggest that you take a little time, read the 'recommended
reading' list assembled on the ARIN web pages, surf the naipr
mailing list archives, etc.

I would also suggest that you examine the fact that the Internet
community in the European (RIPE) and Asia Pacific (APNIC) communities
have been living with similar *service* models for a few years.

Put simply, I would LOVE to hear some justification for the high fees
imposed by ARIN (in terms of administrative work on their end that is, not
considering the whole scarcity of addresses factor).

They are a not-for-profit organization which must be self-sustaining.
'Nuff said.

Happy Holidays,

- paul