nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is this just a rumor?

From: "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk () priori net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:34:39 -0700

On Aug 26, Joe Shaw <jshaw () insync net> wrote:

I've also heard that.  Another rumor is that Domain Name Registration is
going to now cost $250/year, instead of $50/year.

        Haven't heard that one, but I doubt they'd be that stupid.

Class C address space
is going to cost you $2500/year.  The $9.95/month ISPs are out of
business.  What's this going to do to the small and struggling businesses
out there?  Class B networks are now going to cost $637500 at that price.
So, look for prices on everything to start going up to cover the costs for
your upstream providers.

        That one I have heard.  The actual pricing structure in the
        early ARIN proposals (http://www.arin.net/) was scalable;
        it was never $2500 per class C unless you're getting them
        one at a time, in non-contiguous blocks.

        These kinds of conspiracy theories are on literally dozens
        of other mailing lists, including NAIPR and PAGAN.

        Please note the reply-to.

J.D. Falk                         voice: +1-415-482-2840
Supervisor, Network Operations      fax: +1-415-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."