nanog mailing list archives

Re: NEWDOM: Re: Read this...Re: offtopic for NANOG - do not read

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () ibm net il>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 08:57:51 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Carl Oppedahl wrote:

Unfortunately for the Internet community, NSI has made it clear that it
doesn't plan to yield any control over .COM to anyone else, ever:

That's just the current management of NSI. They can be replaced.
Once the shareholders of NSI realize that there is more hay to be made by
cooperating with the IAHC and by getting back to Network Solutions' roots,
then this whole tempest in a teapot will evaporate.

I would have thought that if NSI applied to be a registrar and won the
lottery, they would be a 900 pound gorilla compared to the 2-3 man
operations currently gearing up to be registrars.  If I was management I
would see golden opportunities by having a bunch more gTLDs open up and
operations ready to handle 100,000 applications in a week.  Even if I lost
- I could become an outsourcer for those that win - providing technical
consulting and backoffice operations support.  If I was a stock holder
with SIAC I would be quite annoyed by now by their company losing out on a
potential golden egg that they have a leg up on.

Michael Dillon                   -             Internet & ISP Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael () memra com

Hank Nussbacher
IAHC member
[the views expressed above belong to the author and do not
necessarily reflect the views of the other IAHC members]