nanog mailing list archives

Re: In case anyone hadn't seen this

From: "John W. Stewart III" <jstewart () isi edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 16:31:26 -0400

my point is that right now authentication is mntner-based and
most access-list generation depends on an as-macro.  so what's
to stop me from changing my as-macro to contain a few thousand
ASs and then config'ing my router to announce a zillion
prefixes?  filtering as we know it today doesn't protect
against this .. the upstream provider would have to manually
intervene.  even if the access-list generation depended on
as-in/as-out policy instead of just as-macros, and the tools
had some knowledge of what ASs were downstream to allow for
AS-path filtering as well as prefix-based, then i could still
just register zillions of prefixes with appropriate origins
and config my router to announce those zillions of prefixes
with appropriate AS-paths

all i'm saying is that parts of the system are fragile and
registries can't be viewed as a silver bullet

/jws

On Fri, 25 Apr 1997, John W. Stewart III wrote:

    > The solution to this problem is filtering, which has been known for
    > a long time.
    >
    > The provoders that have been filtering on the customer edge seem to
    > have done much better in terms of providing sanitized routes. I am
    > wondering how many such major outages need to occur in order to
    > convince some providers to do customer filtering?

   i'd argue that filtering is protection against misconfigurations.
   in practice, the way that filtering is done, it does not protect
   us from malice; hopefully such attacks would be short-lived
   because the immediate provider(s) would cut the person off, but
   even short problems on the scale we're talking about are serious.
   fortunately most of the wide-scale attacks we've seen have not
   been within the routing system itself (though some have pounded
   its infrastructure .. e.g., the low UDP port number attack), but
   there's always that possibility.  in order for filtering to
   protect us from malicious attacks within the routing system we
   need a lot more in the way of authentication for registries and
   tools built on top of them

Using the of RAWhoisd extended queries(*) it is very easy to build an
accurate access list and an as-path filter as well.

(*) see http://www.ra.net/RADB.tools.docs/rawhoisd.8.html

It is equally simple for anyone having access to a router receiving the
full BGP table to check the consistency of informations found in routing
registries with the actual BGP entries *before* putting a new access list
in action.

Nothing else is required to inject sound routing information in the BGP
mesh.

   of course that means a lot of work, so people have to first
   recognize how fragile some of this stuff is.  today's excitement
   is a very good example of that fragility

   to be clear, i am a fan of registries and filtering as they are
   currently used .. there is no alternative other than chaos.  i
   just think it's a mistake to think that filtering as we know it
   now is equivalent to a necessarily robust routing system

All sorts of malicious attacks can give us headaches, but BGP
annoucements, is just like crossing the street: carefully watch for what
is already there and you will be safe.

   /jws

__

Pierre Thibaudeau                     |   e-mail: <prt () Teleglobe CA>
TELEGLOBE CANADA                      |
1000, rue de La Gauchetiere ouest     |      Tel: +1-514-868-7257
Montreal, QC   H3B 4X5                |
Canada                                |      fax: +1-514-868-8446