nanog mailing list archives

Re: does history repeat itself?

From: Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 10:26:49 -0400 (EDT)

  i noticed some pretty poor aggregation in some of the most recently
allocated address space tonight:  (advertising as's withheld to
protect the innocent/guilty)

208.201.64.0/21
208.201.73.0
208.201.88.0/21
208.201.97.0
208.201.103.0
208.201.112.0/22
208.218.64.0/20
210.135.160.0/20
210.135.192.0/22
210.135.224.0/20

  this seems especially bad with all the talk of better ways to
allocate and advertise so that we don't waste address space.  i do
note that most of what i call poor aggregation appears to be due to
"dual homing".  are we just doomed to poor aggregation because of
this?

  or maybe i'm just naive in thinking the internic is really cracking
down on small allocations and that providers are really working hard
to aggregate.

-brett

Hmm.  Maybe a neutral, 3rd-party agency to get dumps of tables from
major entities and which would send e-mail with suggested aggregations
to noc@theownerofeachoffendingasn.

I will make time to start running the route aggregator at routes.netaxs.com
again; we've been fighting a random-src-address-SYN-attacker for the last
week or two.  I may have some comments on THAT for NANOG re: inter-provider
cooperation shortly.

Avi