nanog mailing list archives

Re: The SWAMP

From: randy () psg com (Randy Bush)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 96 22:13 PDT

We have considered assigning a /32 to each root name server and asking
everybody in the universe to carry these 10 or so routes in the interest
of complete and permanent provider independence.  So rather than worry
about the /24's ... :-)

If there has to be a separate route for each one anyway, why not just
blow 253*10 addresses and announce a /24 for each root name server, even
if only one IP out of each /24 is used?

Less CPU to blow holes in filters that normally deny> /24.

I agree with your ammendment to the proposal.  It makes it somewhat more
sensible.

But I gotta ask why we have to pollute the world with a few more /24s.
Everybody who has introduced /24s probably thinks that their reason is
justified.  Commons, meet sheep.

randy