nanog mailing list archives

Re: MAE-East still no generator

From: Avi Freedman <freedman () netaxs com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 01:42:51 -0400 (EDT)

  Certainly it would be reprehensible if the MAE-E core
  infrastructure (that which MFS owns/runs) wasn't backed up.
  However, I believe it is.

  I do not believe that it is the responsibility of MFS to provide
  power to individual's equipment that is co-located at the site.

If reliable power is not considered an essential part of facility
infrastructure, how would you suggest that tenants get it? I think

DC power is provided at all MFS facilities I'm aware of; the rub is
that most of our gear is AC.  Does anyone know of inverters that take
MFS's -48dc (with what I'm told is 'positive-ground' power) and convert
it to 110vac?  If not, we're probably going to have to build our own
battery rack and/or stick a generator on the roof at one of our MFS
colo sites.

that the incident at the WilTel POP in Santa Clara, CA, is sufficient
to prove that having individual tenants each supply their own
(typically small) UPS is a Bad Thing - the power was out long enough
to drain them to zero, furthermore (this part I have second hand) some
of them didn't take well to being flatlined like that. If everyone
were left to solve that problem on their own ... well, imagine
everyone jockeying to park their trailer-mounted portable generator
near the door. Yow.

Stephen

Avi