nanog mailing list archives

Re: RE: Provider credibility - does it matter? was Re: Inter-provider relations

From: alex () relcom eu net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 96 18:50:26 +0300

This is very food example for this subject. What's is the branch of this
ING network appear in Moscow (may be they have appeared already -
it's not important
there).

The problem is just the same - if we'll establish peering
with this (IGN Russia, having now about 40 customers) this mean for us
to provide 2Mbit back-bone over Moscow, SPB and some other places for
their customers. I prefere if this IGN Russia bue IP from us (and pay some
money - less than for International IP but more than 0.0$).

Just as USA's problems but in another scale (2Mbit instead of 150Mbit,
64K instead of 2Mbit, 40 customers instead of 1,000... And this rabbit
have a chance to became the wolf, throught (I hope) this oily rabbit
can't compete to fast hares in the wild forests).

  On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

  > http://www.ibm.com/globalnetwork/inetbbon.htm
  >
  > Probably the best kept secret in the Internet world.

          I just looked at IBMs page and see it as a step foward in peering. They
  seem to understand that local traffic needs to stay local. Quoting their page,

  "Within the coming months, we will develop peering with providers in additional
  countries in order to minimize traffic backhaul between the United States and
  those countries -- as well as among the countries themselves."

  Now if others would join in, by keep local traffic local, pick up their
  network traffic at more points, and be at more peering points, I believe that
  the network will become better in time.
If we bue IP connection in USA, let's they bue IP connection
in Russia too -:). /I am writing for me, not exactly for my company/.
And I think our policy is soft in comparation to some other ISP there (in
Russia) who don't confess Sprint Russia as ISP even (and they are right!).

  I think that it is great that Netrail is opening up a new nap in Atlanta. There
  should be a nap in every major city in the US and world wide...

  Back to work now.

  Christian

---
Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)