nanog mailing list archives

RE: Windows/NT to break the Internet?

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () ibm net il>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 96 07:37:32 UTC

On Fri, 18 Oct 1996 11:16:28 -0700  Peter Ford wrote:

Hank,

Have your tried to replicate your customer's problem?  We have tested
setting the prefix mask in the IP stack in NT 4.0 and it can be set to
prefixes longer than 24.

cheers, peter

I have to apologize for the lack of clarity since I was getting the
reports from customers.  The problem is NOT in setting a prefix mask.
The problem is with inverse for subnets.  From the install notes of
Windows/NT (DNS and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0) dated May 12, 1996 (page
28), under the section 'Configuring Reverse Lookup' the doc says, and
I quote:

??? I haven't a clue.  I think there is a bug???

end quote.

The defacto standard for doing subnetting and inverse has been documented
in a draft standard:

ftp://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-cidrd-classless-inaddr-00.txt

I hope Microsoft can get this fixed since I have had to start allocating
/24s to very small sites in order to bypass this problem.

Hank