nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ungodly packet loss rates

From: bmanning () ISI EDU (Bill Manning)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:41:22 -0700 (PDT)

Bill Manning wrote:

      In fact... :)

      To borrow from your FedEx model..
      We can build bigger doors (MTU)  but the conveyer belts are stuck
      at 100Mm/sec.  We need faster conveyer belts!
      (waiting for HPPI-64 or G-Ether technologies w/ baited breath :)
      And then watch out 2-4Gbps backplanes... (that is aggregate right?)

Oh, well.

You do not need 2 or whatever Gbps backplanes to build
terabit per second networks.

--vadim

        Correct.  I've got a terabit network on my desk right now.
        Its kind of simple and doesn't scale well... only two ports.
        But what can you expect from strands of fiber... :)

--bill