nanog mailing list archives

Re: More hardware design (was Re: GigaRouter)

From: Alexis Rosen <alexis () panix com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 09:38:50 -0400 (EDT)

Avi Freedman writes:
[Alexis writes:]
Does anyone know of a *small* rackmount case for PCs? By this I mean one
that doesn't chew up quite so much vertical room as the usual boxes.

Yes, look in computer shopper.  There are some short rack-mount PCs.
I'm trying to get pricing on them now.

Neat, you can tell me what you learn. :-)

And Crystal makes dream rackmounts;
4 across, 8 down in a 7' x 19" rack.  But I suspect they're hideously
expensive.  They use passive backplanes :(

I've seen these. If you're going that route, you can use the Multitech case
or others with separable ISA backplanes. You'll get about the same density,
and I think it works out a whole lot cheaper.

One of the annoying problems using an intel box instead of a sun is that
there's no real console. If it dies, the only way to kick it remotely is
with a remote-control power switch. These are expensive and unwieldy, not
mounting nicely in racks.

I think I told you about these :)
$500 or so from Black Box, 15 or 20amps across the whole switch, but it's
code-activated and has 8 outlets.  I guess you'd probably plug it into a
terminal server port. [...]

Yes, in fact I noticed this while I was checking their catalog for the
switch info. 15amps, which is enough for 8 Intel CPUs, as long as you're
not running 4GB drives on each one.

Lastly, I've seen this really neat rackmount chassis from Multitech. It's
got 22 ISA slots, severable into up to 9 parts, and enough drive bays to
actually run 9 separate servers. If you're looking for maximal density it
seems like a good bet. The only problem I can see is that you'll need CPUs
with both SCSI and viseo on board (thus my first question) unless you're
willing to run on IDE drives. I figure that for light or medium-use servers,
ethernet over ISA should be fine.

Roughly how much?

Um, well, I've run machines taking a few million web hits a day using ISA
Ethernet boards. I doubt you could push a machine to the wall without using
more than a T1. Maybe several T1s.

/a